Tuesday, November 28, 2006

No, We Didn’t End Up In The Witness Protection Program…

So I don’t have a very good excuse for not posting in a while. Don’t get me wrong I do have lots of excuses, just not very good ones.

First, I would like to wish everyone a belated Happy Thanksgiving. We traveled to Connecticut again the weekend before and had a good time with grandparents, an aunt, an uncle, and baby Mayson. Harper did great and the car ride was much easier than our first trip. She seemed to just go with the flow.

On Thanksgiving Day we were here and did not travel anywhere. Harper’s other set of grandparents came over to see Harper (and to make the food because I was born missing the cooking portion of my brain) and we had a nice quiet dinner.

Because I am sure most people don’t care how many grocery bags I can carry into the house at one time, or what my secret predictions are regarding the plot of Heroes on NBC, (seriously what is the deal with Nikki/Jessica? I was unaware that a dissociative identity disorder otherwise known as a split personality was a super power.) Here are a few of Harper’s accomplishments to date.

Harper still sleeps like a champ and now seems to be over the sitting up in the crib in the middle of the night and not knowing how to lay back down conundrum. Had I mentioned she had that problem before? Her birthday was the first time we walked in to see her sitting up looking at us and it has been a struggle to keep her in a supine position while in bed because frankly there is just too damn much fun stuff to do when it is time for bed. (Now that I think about it, I had the same problem, but that was in college… and oh so long ago.)

Harper has one tooth. Although it feels like she has other teeth ready to sprout, she is still just a one tooth girl and we are pretty sure that is all she is getting. (Just kidding, she did ask for a second tooth for Christmas so we added that to her wish list.)

Harper is now mobile. Not with crawling, but a very interesting ‘butt-scootch,’ (not to be confused with ‘butterscotch’ as I just reread.) and it is fast. The other day she picked up Dan’s wallet from the floor, raised it high over her head, and was out the door with her maniacal laughter trailing behind. Yes, I have taught her well.

Harper likes to hold on to our hands and walk. She does this with her mouth wide open and a very precise goose step.

Harper will point to a number of body parts, both hers and others. I am trying to teach her where her bum is because I think it is funny, although I never reference mine because of the shock factor.

Harper makes a lot of babbling noises while playing by herself, but when she becomes quiet it means she is holding a piece of dirt which she then hands to me. I end each day with a very impressive pile. If only she knew the irony of the situation because much like posting, cleaning gets a lot of excuses too. Most of them start with an H and end with an ‘arper’.

Harper has been learning a number of sign language signs to help her communicate. Just yesterday she was rubbing her arms and it wasn’t until after I checked them to see if they were injured before I realized she was signing ‘bear’ because she saw it on her can of formula. She then replied, “Geez Mom, get with the program.” In addition to ‘milk’ which she has done for a while, she also now does the sign for, ‘sleep’, ‘dirty’ (go figure), and ‘eat’. When she wants something and we are being daft, she will make tiny fists hold them to her side and make a noise that is like someone lifting a car off the ground. We refer to it as ‘Hulking out.”

I realize now that I should have taken all these little items and posted them over time so people would say. “Boy, you have really been good about keeping up with the blog.” Instead, you get it all in one chunk and when I don’t post again until February you all will be like, “Umm, we have been waiting for a really long time now. Couldn’t you throw us a bone?” Oh well. You will just have to savor it.

I suppose while we are waiting for Harper to do something new, we could discuss my grocery bag carrying capabilities. Truly, it is remarkable. I hate it, but it is remarkable. Now that I think about it, it is probably my super power. Great. Some people get exposed to radiation or bitten by an exotic spider to unleash powers that will save the world, but my powers are bred from laziness and not wanting to make more trips out to the car. I am pretty sure they will never make me into a sought after Halloween costume either.

That is it from us right now, we wish you well and are thankful for your support of our new family and I promise I will post before February.

With much love,

Supermarket Grocery Bag Lady, Teeny Hulk, and Dan (He is our sidekick and if there are tights to be worn, he’s your guy.)






Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feast or Famine, I get it. Don't worry we will all still read it when ever you decide to post. (but next time more photos) I espcially like the photo of Harper in the blue sleeper.
Love me

Anonymous said...

I want to know more about the grocery bags...and the bag lady!
Can't you get a babysitter to care for her while your shopping? (all the "soaps" do)
Great pics.
Love Edna