Thursday, June 08, 2006

What's Up With Docs?

It is possible that I am a bit iatrophobic. That means I have a fear of doctors. I understand the whole hippocratic oath and all, but do they really CARE about me or my many neurotic issues, imagined or otherwise?

(Please don’t confuse iatrophobia with catagelophobia, a fear of being ridiculed. I am totally fine with ridicule.)

Anyway, I guess when you become a parent or a soon-to-be-parent, you must look to the dark side for help, and not just for the annual-make-you-worry-they-will-give-you-bad-news-physical, which probably takes years off your life just due to the stress of it all.

Dan and I needed to find a pediatrician. I have to admit I put this off for quite a while. I wanted to find a pediatrician that I felt comfortable with. Duh. I understand this person will probably be speed dial #3 right after the grandmothers (or # 1, but I don’t want to incur the wrath of the G-Moms, so no telling…) but you have to understand. I am not too keen on the docs. I understand that they are not all Dr. Acula or anything, but there are a few bad apples out there who ruin the whole idea of an apple a day keeps Dr. Acula away.

We met with a prospective pediatrician today… and I love her. She was wonderful, kind, attentive, and she seemed to really care about us and the pictures of our soon to be daughter. She is like the un-doctor. She also told us to call with any question or concerns and that no question is too silly. (Although I wonder if she will still be saying that to families after Harper has grown up; I am sure I will provide her with some real whoppers.)

We found the right doctor. Check that one off the list.

*Thanks to the show Scrubs for the Dr. Acula reference and my apologies for the unfair stereotypes in my post. And to any doctors out there who may end up being a physician of mine, be forewarned… I don’t like needles either.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way you do - I just didn't know I was iatrophobic. Pretty ironic considering I spent the last year as the pre-med advisor for the college. Let's just say . . . the bar was a little higher on the bedside manner this year for some of our applicants.

Glad you found a pediatrician to be your partner, not your opponent. Sounds like a gem. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Glad you found one you liked. I also think a woman is nicer and kinder than an old man. diane was lucky she worked in an office with 6 peds and picked out the best one. Of course than there is Kristin (long distance)I think my mother in law is just the opposite of iatro.... and paranoid when she can't see a dr.