Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Maple Syrup

Here is some serious news that I heard the other day...

New England Suffers Maple Woes



Maple-syrup maker Ryan Tilley braves a forest aflame with exploded maple to tap his trees.



A downturn in the maple syrup market is having harmful side effects for trees in northern New England. For the first time in decades, the maples are remaining untapped, with sometimes-dangerous results. Triggered by the low-carb craze, the drop in maple syrup consumption is causing a serious problem for New England's maple-tree industry: exploding maple trees.

"An untapped tree is a time bomb ready to go off... The trees explode like gushers, causing injuries and sometimes death. If untended, quiet stands of Nature's sweeteners can turn into spindly demons of destruction. The Vermont Health Board reports 87 fatalities, 140 maimings, and a dozen decapitations, caused by sap-build-up explosions this year."

So, I propose everyone should have pancakes for dinner tonight. Mmmm. I love pancakes. Oh, I almost forgot... Happy April Fools!

News story courtesy of NPR's All Things Considered, April 1, 2005.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I was believing you.
I got punked!

Anonymous said...

I still would like pancakes for dinner. But I'll eat pancakes anytime. love me

KW said...

You got me! I was thinking this is RIDICULOUS!!! The trees actually EXPLODE!! But, no, no they don't. Ha ha.