Saturday, July 15, 2006

Exhausted.

We had a long day today even though our flight was a little over an hour. We had to have our bags packed at 11:30 and check out of our room. Then we had to wait in the lobby of our hotel in Nanchang until 1:00 when we were driven to the airport. Our guide was wonderful and personally checked us in and all of our luggage. (There are 19 families in our group. It was the largest group sent to Nanchang so far.) We stood in the airport while this was happening for over an hour. It was also very hot and humid in the airport. Very limited air conditioning.

We spent over an hour on the plane and Harper did very well. Only minor fussing and a surprise diaper change. Once we landed it was more waiting in the airport for our baggage, then waiting for all of our group to gather together, then more waiting to get on the bus to take us to the White Swan. The ride was 45 minutes long. While waiting in the airport Harper was very stoic. She didn't make any noise or have any real facial expressions. Once we were on the bus she was more fussy, but I think it was do to exhausting.

We didn't arrive to The White Swan until after 7:00. It is a gorgeous hotel and I haven't seen anything but the lobby, elevator and our room. Once in our room Harper came to life and was rolling around on the bed, smiling and laughing. She was like this for quite sometime.

Then of course it was time for bed and we set her in the crib. She howled and screamed like we were trying to light her on fire. It was exhausting. I think it was scary for her to be in another new place that she was expected to sleep in. The last time she had a different crib was the night she was handed to us and we knew that she was terrified then. After quite some time she was able to calm herself down, but we needed to stand over her crib. We tried to avoid eye contact as not to engage her, but to stand there long enough so that she knew it was safe and we weren't going anywhere. She is asleep now, but Dan and I are very, very tired.

I hope it isn't this bad tomorrow when it is time to take a nap.

I am sorry that there are no pictures now, we will make up for it when we wake up in the morning, evening for you all.

I hope I can sleep. I can't wait to try.

Love,
Janet

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have the internet. Nice to hear that you made it, and get some rest. You'll need it for the next flight. :) love me

Anonymous said...

You're all going through a lot of change. Fortunately you two know what's happening, but poor little Harper has no idea what's happening to her. Every change may have her fearful of being taken away from you.

It appears that you're all bonding really well. She'll become more comfortable and with that her security will grow. She just needs a little time.

Love to all!

Anonymous said...

What a doll baby!! She is so cute. I have heard a lot of "diaper change" stories from the trips home, so pack a few more than you think you'll need .... maybe to share!

You all are in the process of this wonderful life changing adventure. I'm sure that things will settle down once you are back home and in your own space. As soon as Harper gets settled, you will all just bond and make a beautiful family.

Have a great trip home, can't wait to see you all.
Nance