Monday, July 17, 2006

Yes, We Are Still In China.

We are now into our second day in Guangzhou. I apologize for not posting anything yesterday. We have a simple adorable, charming and fussy baby right now who has a cough and has been sneezing a little bit and her usual naptimes have not been usual at all.

We love Harper. It makes us sad to see her not feel well and it also frustrates us to not be able to do very much for her. She likes to go out and enjoy the sites, but she gets really sleepy after a while and takes a nap in her carrier. Then when it is naptime she is a little discombobulated.

We have had a couple of really intense crying sessions that have to do with fear or not feeling well and we are not really sure which. During these times she is inconsolable and it is upsetting for us to watch her struggle. Although this is really hard at times, I think she is learning to trust us and is feeling safer day by day. Dan and I were really glad to be at the White Swan and out of Nanchang, but to Harper it was just another upheaval of her world that she didn’t understand. Other than her cold, she is doing a lot better today and we are getting more fun play time, smiles and giggles from her. Unfortunately, we still have a few more transitions to make before we finally get home.

I really miss home. Things are so foreign to us right now, (please excuse my pun.) Dan and I can’t remember what day of the week it is, what time it is, or that lunch is something that we need to eat. (No worries, Harper does get her lunch, though.) I have a hard time remembering details of Hong Kong already. It feels like it was years ago. Our weird new life consists of a hotel room, polluted water that has to be boiled, strange colorful money that I can never remember the exchange rate for, hot humid weather (although I think it is hotter in Vermont today than it is here.), daily schedules that NEVER meshes with Harper’s schedule, and tag-team maneuvers between Dan and myself around such tasks as feeding, appointments, and potty-time (ex-cell-ent!). I don’t think I quite remember who I am anymore.

To everyone that has had a child, you have my apologies and admiration. Now, I understand. The tears, crying and stress doesn’t seem so bad when you finally get a gummy, little smile and a goofy, happy chuckle in return.

… But I am still tired. : )

* Hopefully before our Monday is over and your Monday is starting, I will get some more pictures of Guangzhou and Harper. We uploaded some to the “New China Photos” link, but I forgot to put the memory card back in the camera when we went for our walk today. Oops.

Oh yeah, did I mention that Harper is growing a cute pot belly? Very Buddha. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, the schedule will work itself out. You are both doing a great job. Those stressful times are normal, even when you are at home. Be thankful that you have eachother to share the frustration with. In the end it is all worth it. One big hug and a kiss makes everything esle fade away. You'll get there. Keep doing a great job. We love you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things might be calming down. I hope, and don't forget to sleep. Now. I love you three. Love PoPo

Anonymous said...

Just a few more days and you'll be home and able to settle in. You are doing a great job-it will never be as unusual as this-you are up against so many things you can't control. Keep your chins up and try to get some rest...I know Harper will feel better once she gets some good VT air....you guys, too. Love you all! Jennifer M.

Anonymous said...

Does it help at all to hear that the exhaustion, sadness when you can't "fix it", giddiness when they DO smile, and sudden concern that you may be bi-polar due to the violent emotional swings is COMPLETELY normal? Didnt really help me, either.....but I wanted to try. You are doing beautifully- It is going to come together and fall apart a million times. Parenthood is never dull! The very best you can ever do for your little one is to love her- always- beyond reason...see! you are already there..:) The rest will fall into place.
Much love from UT...