Wednesday, July 12, 2006

July In Nanchang = No Fun

Today was a long day. We went on a tour of Nanchang. The weather was about 100 degrees and it was pretty humid. Unfortunately it meant that I didn't pay a lot of attention to what I was really looking at. If it had been just Dan and myself it would have been bearable, but I was concerned about Harper getting overheated.

We did travel in an air conditioned bus which was great, but just to walk around for 30 minutes outside was a lesson in how much body fluid you can lose through your skin. It really was amazing how much we were sweating.

Harper did ok, but the heat wasn't great for her and once we got back to the hotel we tried to put her down for a nap, but she was over tired and wanted nothing to do with it. So I spend the afternoon trying to appease her which was also exhausting. On top of that Dan had some pretty intense allergies to something outside today and could not be with out tissues. He took some Benedryl and he did sleep when we got back to the hotel. That left me entertaining 'the beast'. (That is our affectionate name for Harper when she decides what ever we do is not the right thing.)

We had dinner in the hotel tonight and it was managable, came back and gave her a bath (which she does really well with) and put her to bed. She went down easily and is sleeping soundly now. I think we will let her sleep as long as possible. We have learned that waking The Beast when she could still use some sleep in not wise.

Here is a photo of how sly The Beast can be. One moment she is cute enough to munch on and then later becomes... cranky. But honestly after today we were all cranky so I hold nothing against her. Tomorrow will be much better.

There are some new pictures added to our 'China Photos' link on the side. There were a lot of pictures taken while we were out today, not as many of Harper. Tomorrow we will take more of her.

I have to sleep now. I am also not going to proofread right now so my apologies on any grammer, puncuation, or spelling mistakes.
I still can't wait to come home.

 Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

well... if it makes you feel better it is close to 100% humidity and we have no airconditioning. You'll be home soon and things will get back to normal?. Well things will become routine at least. (I also like "the beast" nick name) Love me

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great. I can't believe that she is so photogenic. Can't wait for The Beast to meet my daughter Cybil-you know, the multiple personalities of Victoria. Aunt Lori gave her the nickname, but it is quite fitting.
Enjoy it now, the 2's are quickly approaching. (me first!)Love you.

Anonymous said...

You think its hot there... try being in Qatar. It runs in the 90's at night and in the 140's during the day. We have pictures where you can see the humidity.

Hope this helps cool you down.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear it is so hot and sticky! It can't be any fun at all. Here's hoping tomorrow involves more AC. But, as the next installment in the "it could be worse" series - at least you're not in Beijing! They just had their worst sandstorm in 5 years - over 300,000 tons of sand and yellow dust as a first estimate, according to my geophysics friends. Lots of love and cool thoughts from us.

Anonymous said...

She is a real cutie and I love the picture with Dan. Just remember that things are just as strange in the hotel for her as they are for you. Plus you (Jan and Dan) are speaking two different languages to her, English and unconditional love. Possibly she has heard neither before. A suggestion from one of my friends who has been there, take turns sleeping and walking the baby. Also see if you can "swap child care" with another couple there. (not that you want to let her out of sight quite yet.) And from me, be good to each other, enjoy the moment, and give that baby a big hug for me.

Anonymous said...

Daddyhood fits you well honey.
Love you all!

KW said...

That picture is too cute. I'm all for the "it could be worse" game:

Try being me today: Philly 100 degrees 100% humidity 40 pounds overweight and the law states that I HAVE to wear clothing in public. What the hell is with that? From now on I'm a nudist supporter.

Have fun and make sure she knows her name is Harper and not beast as that could have life long ramifications.

Love,
us

Anonymous said...

Just bring the "beast" home. I can't wait any longer. Sorry it is so hot there. It was hot here and now it is pouring. Flood warnings in the southern area. Your two boys are doing fine. I know Cubbie misses Dan. Hope he has room in his arms for all three. Love you and talk to you real soon. Maybe when you get up. Remember my wake up call at 8, although I would take it at 7. And give Harper a big squeeze for me. Love POPO

KW said...

it could be worse, your baby could have t-rex arms and parrot face. love kevin

Anonymous said...

That diapering job seen in the photo looks pretty good for a couple of rookie parents! Ha!